From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2011 22:28:09 -0600
far better to have a direct link via UHF or VHF or something similar to link
repeaters for emergency usage.  Allot of times, an emergency includes power
failure, and other infrastructure failure which can mean internet isn't
reliable, or is so jammed up with a bunch of users using lines and links
that don't normally handle that much traffic, that any VOIP program would
bog down right away and make communication less reliable than texting.
Also, in an emergency situation, an HF link would likely be set up along
with packet and phone to pass messages if 2M or 70CM won't get through.
If they just didn't bother to set up HF, then it probably wasn't much of an
emergency.

73
Colin, V A6BKX