Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:05:25 -0500

My original post was asking what to take post procedure after small bowel
series having to ingest barium.  It was recommended by my doc's nurse I use
tons of water post, along with MOM and prune juice also because of my hx of
chronic constipation.  I inquired whether people had used MOM without
incident because in the archives it doesn't say it is certified gluten free.
I got lots of responses, thank you so much all.  Many people responded that
they have no problems with MOM.  Others recommended I use Miralax. Another
highly qualified person responded that MOM AND prune juice were overkill and
she's a seasoned radiologist, so I followed her advice and nixed the prune
juice addition.

What I did post procedure was drink a good amount of water like they
recommended (at least 10 8oz glasses), and took Miralax the same night after
procedure.  No results with the Miralax.  Second evening I took MOM cherry
flavor and had results within 6 hours without any problems.  I am an ultra
sensitive celiac with classic diarrhea symptoms, and didn't have a twinge of
any type of gluten poisoning symptom from the MOM, nor any cramping, and I
feel well this morning. MOM has magnesium in it, so if you're sensitive to
this, I would not take it.

For those who are curious why I had the small bowel series, I've been
hospitalized twice within 3 months for severe epigastric pain and
uncontrollable vomiting (I am no stranger to pain being a cancer survivor
and don't run to the doc for every twinge) with no abnormal findings on 2
CTs, MRI and ERCP except mild dilation of the small bowel and common bile
duct while in the hospital which resolved itself spontaneously after being
NPO for several days.  My liver enzymes were normal, as was my lipase and
amylase.  As to the results of my small bowel series, I haven't gotten the
official results, but since I'm in the medical field the radiologist was
very open with me while he was doing it and he said he couldn't see a darn
thing that looked abnormal on quick looking before official reading, no
dilation within the small bowel at the time, everything else looks entirely
normal and he stuck with me until it got to the cecum.  I am also a
colo-rectal cancer survivor since 2001 with a temporary ileostomy which they
successfully shut down in 2002 and he even said my surgeon did a fantastic
job closing it, couldn't even see any scarring at the site.  Yes I've had my
gallbladder out in 2004 and there were no stones in the common bile duct
either with the ERCP, and the liver and pancreatic ducts were entirely
normal. While in the hospital, one GI consult thought I might have already
passed a stone in the common bile duct (yes you can get stones post
cholecystectomy), another general surgical consult poo pooed this idea and
thought I might have intermittent adhesions that are causing me these
problems, which could be related to stress (who doesn't have stress these
days).  After the test, the radiologist did say that small bowel series are
not the greatest for looking at what might be causing me this problem, and
we discussed that maybe my GI might want to do a more invasive endoscopic
procedure, involving a double lumen scope (forget the name, I can look this
up myself but those of you who might know the correct name of this procedure
please email me).  Any medical professionals that have any other ideas
please email me with suggestions if you wish, or those lay people who have
had similar problems I would love to hear from you. I was most fearful of
course of pancreatic ca or small bowel lymphoma which has so far been ruled
out.  3/2009 I had an upper endoscopy with biopsies and colonoscopy with
biopsies, all normal. Short of actual biopsy of pancreas which is so
difficult it's such a long organ, they've ruled that out thus far especially
with normal pancreatic enzymes.  OF COURSE I am gluten free and also casein
free, and I follow Dr. D'Adamo's diet pretty much for my blood type. Thanks
everyone's response past and future.  Best celiac regards, Dorina