Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 09:14:25 -0600

My family wanted me to make a GF version of beef stroganoff last night.  So
in the last 5 minutes I added 1 heaping tablespoon of cornstarch stirred
into about 8 oz of cold water, poured it into the pan, and then cooked
everything together just about 5 minutes, maybe less.

Initially everyone said it came out delicious, but then they all complained
about an "aftertaste".  I didn't eat it myself or even taste it (trying to
stay away from fats and meats).  I chose to flavor my pasta with anchovies,
capers, olives, margarine, garlic & fresh parsley.

What did I do wrong?  Admittedly, I have never been a gravy person.  I'm
Italian American and raised on a Northern Italian diet, and gravy or sauce
to my ancestors means using tomatoes or no gravy at all, counting on veges
and fat from meats or fish as enough liquid, nor have I ever been into
"rues" using gluten flour.

Did I add too much cornstarch?
Did I not cook it long enough?
Is this just an inherent problem and they just aren't used to cornstarch
taste?
Believe me I flavored it with plenty of salt, pepper, garlic, seasonings,
olive oil and margarine.  It was the aftertaste they complained about, not
the flavor.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dorina [log in to unmask]