Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:48:29 -0700
  Over the weekend, I think I accidentally let my iPad drain its battery
all the way, and then recharged it.

  Today, when I plugged it into that same Mac, it was recognized and I
was offered a fresh opportunity to update it to 5.0 -- which I did with
no mishaps or hiccups.

  So:  It appears to have resolved itself!

David Gillett