From:
"Paul%20A.%20Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:49:57 +0000
Greetings--

It's been my experience--especially lately, since my school system purchased HP computers with ATI video chipsets, that to get the video drivers to behave nicely with the computer you need to go to support.<insert company name here>.com to get the drivers that work best with the motherboard of the computer model, as the company has designed it.  This sounds counterintuitive, now that most video graphics board designers have gone to a 'unified driver model', but, in my school , we have had HP computers show the same symptoms you describe, even when updated with the latest drivers from the chipset manufacturer's site .  The work-around (if you can call it that) is to search the manufacturer's support site for the drivers for the particular model of computer that is "misbehaving".  Apparently, manufacturers re-write driver software for the various peripherals to 'make them their own'.  Replacing the video company's drivers with the re-written computer manufacturer's drivers has solved this problem for us.  Maybe it'll work for you.

HTH

Paul A. Shippert

School Librarian

Margaret Brent Middle School