From:
Arlene Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arlene Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:06:47 -0400

I feel compelled to summarize now and will summarize more when and if more
info comes in.

What I find interesting is that all the responses came from women.  I’ve
asked questions in the past and it was 50/50 responses.  I can’t help but
wonder if women are given the drug by shrinks, etc., to keep a lid on us.
This patriarchal society can be rough on a woman  (My own personal
experience/opinion.) or if men won't admit to struggling with withdrawal.

Having said that, it appears that there is a 75% chance of weaning off of
Xanax AND feeling less like a Zombie.  (I’d really like that.)  One
suggested a supportive prescription medication, but couldn’t remember the
name:(.  I hope she thinks of it.  Another suggested marijuana, which is a
muscle relaxant.  She gave an excellent/amazing Web page:
http://www.marijuanavaporizer.org/.  Being an old hippie, I am not
frightened of that suggestion.  I did see a program on tv once about the
politics of marijuana.  It was used as excuse to deport Mexicans from
California (before the fence to nowhere).  Also, I've heard it can be
legally prescribed.

Other helpful ways to exit Xanax-land:  The sun (great Vit D and I do do
that), interaction with pets, friends, etc.  These are great, too and I do
those things, but must confess it’s rough being with friends because
everyone wants to get together for lunch/dinner, drinks, etc.  I do like to
garden and can get absorbed in that :).  In addition GOOD
suggestions/reminders:)  NO disturbing stimuli (e.g., tv, newspaper, radio).
 DITTO on that.  I am getting MUCH better at that.  Can you believe it?  My
mom always made me come in earlier than all the other neighbor kids had to
so that she could calm me down so I wouldn't have nightmares and sleepwalk
after playing hard outside.  (In my day that’s what all of us baby boomers
did – play!)  She was very wise, no tv, just warm milk, bath, p.j.’s.  I
sure miss her.  Now I am making a conscious effort at removing them.  Thanks.

Another great suggestion:

“I've got Xanax now but found I was getting resistant after just two days on
it so I started taking it no more frequently than every three days. That
way, when I really really need it, it works and I'm not dependent on it.”

I've experienced the resistant to it also, and needing more to starve off
the anxiety.

More good suggestions:

Wean off gradually until you aren't stressing too much then wean some more.
 Supplement with herbal relaxants such as mint or chamomile tea, kava kava
(3-4 capsules) at night to sleep, or melatonin if that works well with you.

What is a universal response:  You are going to feel awful and it will be
hard so good luck.

Lots of generous, forthright women out there.

I now have hope.
Thanks loads.

arlene
from Maine, but now