From:
Arlene Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arlene Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:07:27 -0400

I forgot to mention that I saw a medical program about people who wake up
during surgery but can't talk or move and yet feel ALL the pain of surgery.
 It was discovered that those people took Xanax.  The program informed those
taking Xanax to tell the anesthesiologist you take Xanax (no matter what
dose).  That takes care of the problem.  I would like to think it were that
easy, but I am not confident that the  anesthesiologist  doctor is
knowledgeable enough to take my information to heart.

The last time I had an colonscopy I "came out" of the anesthesia during the
procedure but couldn't open my eyes or speak.  I was trying desperately to
climb over the hospital bed railings and my doctor grabbed my buttock (the
tube was in me).  I felt the tube shoved into me and it was excruciatingly
painful.  I had had 2 colonoscopies previously and never had that problem,
BUT I wasn't taking Xanax in those days.  Once I saw that tv program I
realized that's what happened to me.  By the way, the next day I saw finger
print bruising on my buttock along with a deep (broke the skin) wound the
half-moon shape of a thumb nail next to the finger-shaped bruises.  He could
have perforated by colon.  Tell me that isn't scary.

Now I have an appointment for an endoscopy and I expressed to the internist
my Xanax position in respect to the procedure and he poo pooed me.  So I
will not get one until I can find a doctor who will listen.

I hope this information helps prevent what I went through.

Thank you to those who previously responded to this subject matter.  I feel
like a swan.  It's hard living as an "ugly duckling."