From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:55:35 -0500

To my listmates: It's alittle early, but since Passover has come up on the list and products will be on the shelves soon, I figured I'd put my annual message out there, especially for newbies. I hope you don't mind.

Passover is great for those with celiac because the products are labeled clearly, there is a greater availability of gf products--that would otherwise have gluten, and there is NO chance of cross-contamination in processing.

For religious reasons, having nothing to do with celiac, wheat is not allowed on Passover, unless it's MATZAH, MATZAH MEAL, CAKE MEAL OR FARFEL....with some variation of spelling. Those four are made from wheat.  So, if you see a product that is labeled as Kosher for Passover and does NOT say MATZAH, MATZAH MEAL, CAKE MEAL OR FARFEL, it is GLUTEN-FREE!!!!! Rye and barley are forbidden in any form in Passover food. There is some debate about oats. Kosher for Passover Oat matzah can be ordered online. Google for the sites.

The product can't just say Kosher. It must say it's kosher for Passover in some way, such as,  "Kosher for Passover", "May be used for Passover", "O-u" p...the u in the middle of the O, or a K with a p.

Also, Passover products that say "Non-Grebrochts" are automatically gluten-free. While it means they don't have anything that swells when wet, it guarantees no wheat, rye, barley, and oats.

Even if your store has a Passover section or special shelf area, don't assume the stuff is all o.k. Read the labels carefully. Stuff can be put on the shelf erroneously  because the Passover version and the non-Passover version look alike, or someone just stuck it there.

My Passover favorites that are gluten-free
-Kedem's Gefilte fish...which my store carries all year, but gets special for Passover.
-Paskesz Pesach Crumbs...a potato flake product, great for tempura batter and fantastic fake matzah balls...I have to order these from the supermarket in advance, by the case. (Call Paskesz in Brooklyn, NY for more info. They usually just make candy, but make the crumbs once a year.)
-Cakes and cookies, especially lady fingers.
-Frozen tv dinners

There are some people with celiac who make their own gf crackers as a substitute for matzah. Google or check the archives for recipes. Technically, from a religious perspective, these are not kosher for Passover, so if you plan to bring gf crackers or any food to someone's house, where the hostess/host observes Passover, ask them first.

Note: If you are allergic to nuts or eggs, then many Passover products will not be acceptable to you, since nuts and eggs are a staple. Sorry about that.

Please don't beat me up if your store doesn't carry a variety of Passover stuff. I once got an angry email from someone in New Zealand who said I shouldn't refer to the products as being readily available, because she can't get them there. Well.....If your stores aren't in an area that has a demand for a lot of Passover products, check the listserv today for a summary (from another listmate) on websites for Passover products or google.

All this talk about Passover is making me think of Spring!

Enjoy.