Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:01:24 EST

Thanks to all of you many of my members will have a zeisen  Pesach.
Here is what I learned:
--------------------------
PASSOVER IS A  CELIAC'S DREAM

1. Your in luck b/c Passover is an amazing thing for  celiacs.  Basically
everything Kosher for Passover is GF, EXCEPT for  anything with matzoh meal.
I know this sounds weird, but there are certain  Jewish sects that don't even
eat products made with matzah meal over  Passover.  So there are tons of
products that are made without any  matzah and therefore are GF.  These
products are all labeled non-gebrok  (meaning no matzah).  If you live in an
area where there are a lot of  Jews, there may be a Kosher grocery store.
You can find tons of products that  are GF, ranging from yogurt to cheese to
salad dressings, etc.  All  these products are made without any grains and
the vinegars used and foods  starches used are all made from potatoes.  They
even have amazing  (though full of sugar) desserts, made only from potato
starch.  A great  bakery that makes kosher for Passover desserts and even
states they are GF is  called schicks.  Their web site is schicksbakery.com.
You should check  it out.  Passover is a haven for celiacs.  Just read labels
and  stay away from any products that contain matzah meal.

2. I know a lot of  celiacs who pine away for Passover time to stock up on
grain free chocolate  chips, margarine, baking powder, etc. I buy all the
chips and such we can  have for a year -- my four celiac children like
chocolate chip cookies like  everyone else -- and when we run out, we're out.

3. actually, there are  lots of gf passover foods. i stock up on some things
at passover for the  whole year, since they need to be made without the 4
grains. just check to  make sure there is no matza meal. there is even gf
certified oat matza.  there's gefilte fish also. just look for the words
"non-gebreucht" and it  won't have matza meal. so many things are made with
potato starch instead-  even some blintzes. and they are actually good. also
remember that the "u"  inside the "o" is not enough. it needs to say "P"
inside the "U" and be "non  gebreucht" to not have the matza meal in the
recipe. also lots of desserts  are in this category.
---------------------------------------
LOOK FOR  BAKED GOODS MADE FROM OTHER THINGS

1. Just look for the Kosher for  Passover label.  Cakes are made from almond
paste or a nut base or  potato starch.

2. Also the potato pancake mixes are ok. Potato starch  boxes have some
recipes on them (banana bread and sponge  cake).
--------------------------
ALTERNATIVES TO MATZOH (FOR THE  SEDER)
I use "Ho-Grain" crackers, made out of rice, as matzah. I make  "matzah" brie
(yum!), "matzah" stuffing with mushrooms and  onions...   I find "Ho-Grain"
crackers at my heath food  store...Wild Oats or Whole Foods should have  them.
-----------------------------
MANISCHEWITZ HAS A GF  LIST

Manischewitz kindly posts a gluten-free product list -- here's the  direct
link to that  page:

http://www.manischewitz.com/docs/man_150.shtml
--------------------------------------
HERE  ARE SOME SPECIFIC PRODUCTS BY SPECIFIC COMPANIES
Leibers makes GF matzah ball  soup mix.
There are GF potato and vegetable blintzes.
Gefilte fish is a  tough one, but, I hear there is a GF one.
There are a ton of prepared baked  goods made with potato starch.
There is Gf Matzah! Yes, made in Israel by a  Dr. who found a rare strain of
oats and super-refined them to make for his CD  daughter. Kosher markets will
know about it. It costs about $18 a box  though!
----------------------------
LOOK FOR NON GEBROKS

"Kedem  gefilte fish for Passover" has NO matzah meal...buy Pesach Crumbs by
Paskesz  Candy Co (Brooklyn NY) and make the matzah ball recipe from the
side(seltzer  is the key)they are very good.  Many Kosher food stores have
things  without flour or matzah meal (NON GEBROKS), Schicks Kosher for
Passover baked  goods for Pesach (from NY #718-436-8020 but sold in our Chgo
area kosher  store) are GF and taste like the real thing we used to be able
to eat.(I buy  it now and keep them for the year). There are Passover ice
cream cones made  by Tovli out of Brooklyn N.Y. which you can then use all
year.  We also  make our own gluten free Matzoh. Start by making your own
general purpose  gluten free flour: 2 parts white rice flour to 2/3 part
potato starch flour  to 1/3 part tapioca flour (this flour can be used all
year round for a number  of gluten free treats). To make the matzot, mix
approx. 1 part water to 3  parts flour. There result should be a "dough" that
feels more like play-do  than the familiar elastic feel of real bread dough.
Form the dough into balls  roughly the size of golf balls. Place each ball on
a non-stick cooking sheet  and roll out to paper thinness. I usually put a
piece of waxed paper over the  dough before using the rolling pin to prevent
sticking (you might also have  to dust them with a little of the dry flour
mix). The finished product must  be quite thin. Poke holes in the flat
sheets. Bake at about 375 degrees until  they turn golden brown. Time varies
depending on the thickness of the dough,  so you just have to keep an eye on
them. Don't expect them to look like  Manishevitz matzot when done. They'll
look more like large, irregular shaped  crackers. We take comfort in feeling
this is more like what our ancestors ate  than what you buy in the
supermarket. If you're going to attempt to be true  to the kosher method of
making these, no more than 18 minutes may elapse from  the touch of the water
to putting the matzot in the  oven.
I've saved this video clip of a lady (also by the name of Ellen)  making
matso for Passover.  It gives step-by-step directions on making  it yourself
GF!  I can't wait to try this myself.  I am not Jewish,  but keep  Passover
anyway.

www.Iamglutenfree.blogspot.com
____________________________________________________________________-
All Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free products are certified Kosher by  Kehilla
Kosher. Attached is a list of our gluten free items. I hope that this  is
helpful.

All 1-2-3 Gluten Free products are Kosher pareve (CRC certified). They are
not Kosher for Passover.  _www.123glutenfree.com_
(http://www.123glutenfree.com/)

______
You can find some sites by googling kosher gluten-free.
There is one  from Israel...in Hebrew...but you click on the American flag
for English. I  think they put out ads on our listserv at the end of every
month. I notice  it, but I don't usually order anything online, so I couldn't
tell you  specifically. I do keep two kosher homes (including changing for
Passover),  and have had celiac for decades.

You may or may not know about the  booklet that the Union of Orthodox Rabbis
(O-u....can't do the symbol  online), comes out with a booklet every year for
kosher for Passover  products...showing those that do not have matzah
products in  them....medications, cosmetics, etc. I pick one up every year at
my local  Shop-Rite, but you may be able to write to  them.
_http://www.jewish-holiday.com/shabtaigourmet.html_
(http://www.jewish-holiday.com/shabtaigourmet.html)

Ener-G Foods Inc is Kosher supervised by the Kof K.
We are not however  Kosher for Passover.  If you have a fax machine I can fax
you a copy of  our Kosher Certificate.

The Manichewitz web site has a health tab. From this tab you can choose
gluten free and it identifies all of the products we can have. I keep kosher and
several members of my family celiac disease so I am very interested in the
list  you are putting together.  Please write me on my personal e-mail

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)