From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:37:09 -0500
Theola wrote:
> I belong to a genealogy-dna list.  There have been some interesting
> discussions on lactose tolerance/intolerance recently.  I thought I would
> post one of messages since it touches on a couple of issues that we discuss
> here.  I didn't know about the higher latitude/cholesterol connection.  Have
> we discussed this and I've missed it?  I don't remember reading it in any of
> "our" books.  I have left off the poster's name since I'm posting without
> his explicit permission; however, the list is archived and fully searchable
> at rootsweb.com.

I don't think we've discussed the latitude/cholesterol/vitamin D
connection much.  It's interesting, although it makes me wonder about
whether serum cholesterol levels correlate well with cholesterol in the
skin for conversion to D.  I do know that there's a lot of very
interesting information about vitamin D and how many of us are
deficient.  For example,
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2006/12/17/statins_and_vitamin_d_deficiency_another_blow.htm.
This article mentions the connection between certain autoimmune
diseases, such as RA and MS, and D deficiency.  It has been known for a
while that the incidence of MS goes up at higher latitudes.  I don't
know if this is true of RA.

Todd Moody