From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:36:51 -0500
Paleogal wrote:
> Cavemates,
>
> Excuse the cryptic post, not enough time right now for a lot of details.
> Have found out that a cousin has angina and doc visit is pending.  He has
> converted to paleo in the past couple of years.  Alaska man, age 61,
> (ex)special forces military, eats hunted animals and greens.  Long time
> smoker in the past, beer drinker.  Any suggestions on clearing the arteries
> paleo style, even nutrients/supplements?  I'm needing suggestions from all
> of you.  Thanks, Oliva

First, I wouldn't assume that the cause of the angina is blocked
arteries.  It could be a tendency toward vasoconstriction, caused by any
number of things, including inflammation.  So a general
anti-inflammatory approach might be helpful.

As far as clearing arteries goes, the HDL treatment does look promising,
but I don't know if the natural increase in HDL that he might get from a
diet change is enough to make a difference.  There are anecdotal
accounts of the proteolytic enzyme serrapeptase helping to clear
arteries.  That, at least, is what Hans Nieper believed.  But to my
knowledge there is no hard evidence for it.  Still, there *is* evidence
that serrapeptase is an effective natural anti-inflammatory (it's
silkworm enzyme).

If elevated BG and insulin are involved, then intermittent fasting might
be worth a try, at least for alleviating vasoconstriction.  Elevated
insulin is a known cause of chronic vasoconstriction.

Todd Moody