From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:24:30 -0500

Thank you to all of you who responded to my request for my support group member.  She is very grateful for the GF advice.   As usual, there are always people on this list who are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Below are comments from the many replies that I received:

"You might want to tell your support group member to check out The Essential Gluten-Free Restaurant Guide at www.triumphdining.com for a state-by-state directory of restaurants and GF menus from chain restaurants."

"I ate at a place with much success and have recommended it to others who
also really enjoyed the food. It is a Mexican style restaurant called
Oaxaca. The website is www.oaxacarestaurant.com. It is also right on the
main street through town-very easy to find."

"Just a note about Sedona.  There has been a fire in the main
canyon this week.  I think it is mostly contained, but you might want to
check your hotel reserves if it is in the canyon.  Otherwise, you're safe.

On restaurants, there are two that I know of.  Picazzo's pizza on 89A headed
to Cottonwood.  They serve Pizza.  Then there is an Italian restaurant on
the same side of the street whose chef's wife is allergic to wheat and they
know particularly about allergies.  The bad thing is, I can't remember the
name.  Then there is a restaurant called Oaxaca on the main street.  Good
stuff and very accommodating.  Go to www.gatewaytosedona.com and click on
the restaurant section.  Sorry I can't remember the name of that restaurant.
I did try to look it up and it wasn't on the list, but then neither was
Picazzo's.  I have not been there for a few months, so maybe they are not
there any more.  The list should help though.  Take care, Elizabeth in
Phoenix  Oh I almost forgot.  There is a health food store on 89A headed to
Cottonwood (on the Right).  They have gluten free stuff too."

"It's burning right now....you might want to check whether the place you are
going will still be open....lots of evacuations.  If you go there, I know
there is a picazzo's pizza there.  They serve yummy gluten free pizza."

"I don't know the restaurants in Sedona, but Ted and I were there last year
and there are some wonderful health food markets.  Here are 2 that are worth
stopping at:

New Frontiers Natural Marketplace, 1420 W. Highway 89A, Sedona.
928-282-6311
Rinzai's Market, 2081 W. Highway 89A, Sedona.  928-204-2185"

"Check out the GF pizza place called Picazzo's Pizza, located in Sedona,
Flagstaff, Scottsdale & Tempe.  It was featured in Living Without mag this
month.  I haven't been there, but the people quoted in the mag loved it."

"Picazzo Pizza http://www.picazzos.com/  is in west Sedona and
committed to GF diners - separate oven & stone for the GF crusts,
prepped in their own area.  Other GF items on the menu as well inc.
dessert cheesecakes and a GF flatbread to accompany hummus instead of
wheat pita
I'm eating leftover pizza from their Tempe AZ franchise as I write!-
we were up there two days ago and it was the first place I'd had a GF
beer since diagnosis in 2001.
Excellent salads also - in three sizes for family style dining!"

"I don't know that they are GF friendly - I didn't tell them I had a problem, I just ate there many times  before diagnosis and *never* had a problem, so I continued to eat there until I stopped eating out.  The place is "The Coffeepot  aka 1001 Omlettes"  The only meal I can vouch for is the beef fajitas.  They make it on a part of their grill where only meat is grilled.  Their corn tortillas were fine also when I last ate out, 2 years ago.  They're only open 'til 2 P.M. "

"Hope it's not in the immediate future.  The Brins Fire is still an issue over there.

I haven't been to Sedona since my diagnosis.  So, I can't help you with health food stores.  But there's Picazzo's Pizza Restaurant.  The owner worked with a fellow celiac to create a dedicated gluten-free area in the kitchen and their gluten-free pizzas are yummy (even when driven to Tucson and re-heated).  They even have the Ramapo Valley honey passover beer that's gluten-free.

http://www.picazzos.com/

"I live in Tucson, AZ, and have corresponded with several list members about GF in Sedona/Flagstaff.  Below are copies of my posts.  Hope they help your group member.  If they need more info, let me know, and I will ask at the Tucson Support Group List.  If they do a Google search for Sedona and "gluten free" (or GF) and also for Flagstaff and "gluten free" (or GF) they may get even more info.  (Flagstaff is near Sedona.  It's a nice college town, with the Lowell Observatory, a great arboretum, etc.)  Sue George, listed below, may also have ideas for GF in Sedona, as well as in Flagstaff.

Also, go to an online Yellow Pages, and search for Health food Stores, Grocery Stores, and Restaurants.  An HFS often carries something GF, as do grocery stores.  They may find a chain restaurant they are familiar with that has a GF menu.  (I use DexOnline.com)"

"A Touch of Sedona
 Adobe Village and the Graham Inn"

Thank you, again, for all of your help.

Barbara in Missouri