From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:25:14 -0700
George, the easiest way to get your printer working with Ubuntu (or
pretty much any version of Linux) is to use HPLIP, downloadable from
http://hplip.sourceforge.net.  HP developed the software and it supports
a zillion of their printers (more or less).  It's not included with most
Linux distributions because it is not covered by the GPL (some parts use
the MIT license and some use the BSD license).

Good luck!

Drew Dunn
PCBUILD Listowner

GeorgeMary Skokan wrote:
> I am having problems printing from a Ubuntu 6.06 (linux) machine to an
> existing home network printer.  The printer is shared with 3 other
> machines  using XP.  The printer is an hp1315 psc and has been working
> as the only printer. The ubuntu machine is a dual boot with xp and in
> the xp mode is able to print, so the connection seems ok.   When I set
> up the printer in ubuntu, it sees the printer and it installs a driver
> (hpijs).   When I try to print a test page, the printer is activated
> and ubuntu shows the job sent, but after making a bit of head movement
> noise and no paper goes into the printer, the printer sits with the
> light blinking.   Going to the machine that has the printer attached,
> the printer shows a job from "guest" printing, and I am unable to
> cancel the job.  Any job that comes from the other printers is put
> into the queue and are able to be deleted, but the main job just says
> "deleting".  It takes a restart of both printer and machine to get rid
> of the job.   Does anyone have any ideas why the ubuntu machine
> "sees", but doesn't really print?  Thanks     George

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml