From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:05:32 -0600
Dollie, I suggest that you look at the last year's issues of PC
Magazine, PC World, and Consumer Reports to educate yourself on what is
available at what cost and to help you decide what exactly it is you
need and how much any given feature is worth to you.  These magazines
are usually available at a library.  Trips to the Dell, Gateway, HP,
Circuit City, Best Buy, etc web sites or visits to their stores will
help you see what the features cost.

Given a choice between a laptop and a desktop, I would ALWAYS choose the
desktop.  The laptop is good for one - and only one - thing: it is
portable.  The desktop is better in all other regards: initial cost,
reliability, upgradability, cost to repair (and no overpriced battery to
replace!), and so on.  In addition to my desktop, I own a very nice
laptop, but it runs hot on my lap.  I have to use a piece of wood
between it and my legs.  (Not all laptops run that hot, but mine is a
high-performance one.)  For desktops, reliability is not usually an
issue.  Once they get through the first three months of use, they will
usually last for years with an occasional part failing, provided they
are kept cool.  But it is hard to keep the inside of a laptop cool,
since it is so small.  So, unless you actually need your computer to be
portable (such as a college student who needs to take the computer to
class and lab; or a businessperson who needs to work on the plane or
train), don't even consider one.

One thing that I strongly urge you to do if you can: visit a small,
independent shop that will build you a computer out of generic parts.
It may cost you a bit more in the short run, but, when you need to
repair it, you are likely to save a good deal of money.  Upgrades are
almost impossible on the name brand computers as they usually use
proprietary parts - nothing else will fit.  Furthermore, you can have
the shop-built computer custom-built to your needs.  And repaired right
there, locally, if need be.  Of course, not all small towns have such a
shop convenient to its denizens.

HTH

Dean Kukral