From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 11:42:21 -0700

Hi All--

I just spoke to Kroger Corporate and learned that they
are removing/replacing/changing the gluten free items
they carry in many or all of their stores to make room
for low carb items. Specifically, I noticed many of
the GF items on sale as though priced to be removed at
the Drake Ave. store in Huntsville, AL.

I spoke to the dietician at Kroger. She confirmed
that, yes, they would be discontinuing many GF items
to be able to shelve low carb items. However, she
encouraged me to tell other celiacs who might find
this disturbing to call Kroger and their concerns
would be forwarded to corporate.

I'm not sure how many on the list shop at Kroger for
some or all of their GF food, but I find just the
spirit of what they are doing rather disturbing. I've
seen more GF items in other grocery stores such as
Publix and wonder if they, too, will replace what is
required for us to survive with things that are not
necessarily required for non-celiacs.

My intention is not to inflame those of you who try to
eat low carbohydrate foods. Typically, low carb food
contains ingredients we're forbidden to consume
anyway. I guess I see this as a money-making decision
on Kroger's part and worry that other mainstream
grocery stores will follow suit, making it even more
difficult for celiacs to find food that they require
and can afford.

Maybe it's back to meat, veggies and fruit for me. I
don't think I should be forced to order online to get
the little extras that make meals enjoyable, like
bread items and deserts, etc. I saw one ad today on
the list - buy $50 worth of items and get shipping
free. I don't have $50 to spend on things I've never
tried and may not like. Since I never did hear from
any GF food vendors regarding my coupon suggestion, I
can't get very motivated to order from them.

Time to go - I'm becoming really unhappy with this
entire situation.

Ayn in Alabama