Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 16:13:29 EDT

I recommend taking a Spanish g.f. dining card with you, because twice I had
the problem of the waitstaff understanding my request, but the cooks spoke
Spanish so the waitresss wasn't sure if they got the message. Thanks to everyone
who graciously responded to my request for information.  Laurie
Our experience (mostly positive):
1.Mother's Market and Kitchen: On Michelson, off of Jamboree in Irvine. Also
on 17th St. in Costa Mesa.  They stock a lot of organic and gluten free foods,
and alternative milks.  It was great.  I bought gf cereal, rice milk, and
fruit and ate breakfast in my room everyday to save stress and money.
2. In n Out Burgers. We ordered the protein style burgers, which are wrapped
in lettuce. The fries are the best I've ever eaten.  Be careful to ask them
not to put all of the burgers in the same box if you have some people eating the
bun.  We ate here several times since it was so good.  We ate at the one on
the corner of Bristol and MacArthur in Costa Mesa and at the one on La Palma in
Yorba Linda.
3. El Torito at Fashion Island.  The hostess didn't know what we were talking
about when I asked about a gf menu and gf foods. But, I showed the server my
dining card and she was very helpful about asking the kitchen whether the
foods had gluten in them. Many didn't, according to the kitchen.  We ordered the
cheese enchiladas and the chicken taquitos.  I don't know if it was the spices,
the cheese, or if the kitchen was wrong, but we didn't feel well after eating
there.
4. El Pollo Loco on N. Bristol St. We went through the drive through and the
order taker had no idea what we were talking about when we asked if something
was gf. So we left.
5. Strawberry Farms in Irvine. We attended a rehearsel dinner there and
Allison made sure that we were served a gf meal. It was a Caeser Salad, Fresh
Fruit, and a grilled Chicken Breast. It was very, very good.
6. The Turnip Rose in Newport Beach.  We attended a wedding reception there
and were served a good gf meal of steak, veggies and rice.  When I called
beforehand, they knew exactly what I was requesting.  The waitstaff was very
accomodating and kept checking on us to make sure we were okay.
7. Joe's Crab Shack on Pacific Coast Highway, near Balboa Peninsula.  I
showed the waitress my dining card. She was very helpful. We got steamed shrimp,
without the seasoning. We had corn on the cob, King Crab legs, grouper, and
salmon, all prepared and eaten without incident.  Stay away from the fries as they
are cooked in the same fryer as the fish. There was a wait for seating, you
can call for reservations at certain times. The waitresses dance, which my kids
loved.
8. P.F. Changs in Fashion Island.  We called and they confirmed they have a
gf menu there. 949-759-9007. We didn't try this restaurant because we have one
at home, and opted for El Torito instead, which turned out was a mistake.

Additional info from the listserv prior to going to CA:
1. Tony Roma's-they have a list of gf foods.  800-286-7662.  The one in Santa
Monica was praised for getting it right.
2.Outback Steakhouse-(we saw one on Newport Blvd.). they have a list of gf
menu items.  800-282-1225
3.Chevy's (regional chain-kid friendly)-they don't have a list but they get
it when you call and ask.  You need to check each restaurant individually.
800-4-chevys. (There was an updated list by Danna Korn to the listserv on
11-5-03)
4.Mexican restaurants-the more authentic the safer. Usually safe with
shredded chicken or beef in a corn tortilla, beans. Say "no harina" or "no trigo" to
ask for no flour or wheat.
5.Seafood restaurants--most grill the seafood in a very light sauce, usually
gf. You can always request it be drizzled with butter and grilled.
6. Washoo Fish Tacos--South Coast Plaza in the secondary mall. (I also saw a
few of these on the main roads in the area)
7. Trader Joes--Newport Beach.  (I also saw one on Bristol St., North of the
South Coast Plaza mall)
8. Whole Foods Market--Tustin
9.Chipotle
10. Z-Tejas --in the South Coast Plaza mall. Has a gf menu you can ask for.
11. www.glutenfreeinsd.com website  (very helpful for San Diego area)
12. Wild Oats
13.  Chilis in Santa Monica-- opt for the steak and a plate of all steamed
veggies for your sides
14. [AVOID] The Cheesecake Factory.. I have gone home ill every time.
15.Maggiano's Italian Restaurant--by South Coast Plaza mall.  The executive
chef, James Southfork, is used to having pasta brought in and he really know
how to cater to our needs.  It really is the best Italian meal you will ever eat
out.  But make reservations or go early because tI have waited up to 2 hours
for a seat, but it is well worth it.
16.I live in WLA and can tell you that you won't have ANY problems here.
Californians are all on some kind of diet and the restaurants don't bat an eye
when you ask them the ingredient questions and tell them about no contact with
wheat flour.
17. China West--Irvine.  The owner is John Kao...call him to let him know
when you'll be there and tell him you want gf food.  17585 Harvard Ave., Irvine
(cross st. is Main)
18. Grand Californian Hotel, Storyteller's Cafe in Anaheim.  The chef, Aaron
Flores, is great.  email aaron.e.flores@disney.com...  recommend this
place...he is sensitive to our needs.
19. Disneyland and Legoland both accomodating.  See my separate summaries.