THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:33:07 EST
> From:   Cheryl Porter <[log in to unmask]>
>
>  I don't know
> if there is a correlation between my meds and hair loss.

Hypothyroidism causes hair loss.  Changes in thyroid medications tend to
cause hair loss.  So, if one switched from Synthroid to Armour for example, it's co
mmon to lose hair for a while.  But, that's only a temporary side effect.  I
can't see it being caused by meds you've been using for a long time, unless
you are no longer on an adequate dosage.

I'm on Cortef and no hair loss from it.

It does sound a little like you may not be on an adequate dosage.  90 mcg in
a split dose is not a huge amount of timed release T3.  My wife takes up to
375 mcg daily.  (I'm not sure what you meant by  "90 mcg's of t3 daily in split
doses", I dont' know if you mean 90 mcg every 12 hours, or 90 mcg total for
the day.)  Her case is probably unusual, but you may need more if your pulse and
BP and temperature are low.  That says the amount you are on isn't excessive.
 Some people prefer their pulse to be low (around 60) because they are used
to it and get uncomfortable when it goes up to a more normal 80.  (Ray Peat, a
biochemist, says the average pulse rate in healthy populations is 85.  Yet,
some people have this obsession with keeping it as low as possible, maybe they
think the fewer heartbeats per minute, the longer life?  I think that was
related to the life expectancy of animals at one point but has since been
discarded.)

I doubt if it's your medicine, more likely your dosage.  On the other hand,
have you changed compounding pharmacies?  Some may use different ingredients
than others.  I know my pharmacist usually uses Cytomel.  One time he used T3
powder instead and it wasn't nearly as potent, and switching from one to the
other may cause hair loss just like switching from Syntroid to Armour.  The
pharmacist may not see the difference betweent the two methods.

Skipper

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.