From:
darcyblue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:25:12 -0700
Yes I tried grasshopper and lizard both in a week at tprimitive skills
course.  The grasshopper made it 's way into a stir fry with other
delectable wild edibles such as barrel cactus buds and flame flower ( in
the purslane family, forgotten the latin name at the moment.) It was
crunchy and sort of insignificant amongst all the vegetables, but I
didn't find it particularly awful either. The idea of it was more
repulsive than the actual eating. The lizard on the other hand was quite
interesting. We hunted in the morning, with a  long willow switch.
Entrails were removed, the said lizards skewered over the fire and when
cooked we just ate them...bones and all. They were very small,
tasted...llike...lizard. It is a peculiar and not unpleasant taste at
all.  You would have to catch many a grasshopper and small lizard to
make a real meal of it, And I don't' know that I could personally
stomach a full meal of either at this point in my life.  But needless to
say, it was very enlightening and remarkably easy to catch if your quiet
and intent on your task.  Much easier than hunting a large game animal
by far.
So you wouldn't necessarily expend a LOT of calories to catch them, if
you just did it as you went along your daily business of foraging or
whatnot, but to make a real dietary difference, you need a :LOT.  These
were more like nibbles for us, to accompany food we had brought along,
Chia, Mesquite, dulse, prickly pear fruit(dried) alligator juniper
berries, walnuts and onions and carrots and sweet potato and a few cans
of sardines.
Ate very little really, compared to my daily intake while home, and
wasn't hungry at all.  Must be due to the lack of refined sugars and
starches for the most part.
Anyone else tried insects of any variety?  My instructor said that a
certain species of ant, that had crawled into my bag of nuts and fruit,
tasted a bit like blue cheese, so if I tasted that in my trail mix, I
knew why.  And they did!!
darcey

> A learned aversion. Would you find a plate of bugs appetizing? Our
> ancestors clearly did.

Bugs?  No.  But quite a few times recently I have eyed some grasshoppers
with curiosity and deep thoughts about paleo food and human evolution.
could probably "stomach" a crunchy insect better than, say, a big fat
grub
worm if for no other reason than texture alone.

Do tell--have you tried any bugs yourself?  Anyone else?

Theola