AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:00:40 -0600
Some comments to your reply:

>We HAVE standards.
We have several laws (ADA, 504) and some fairly specific standards in some
areas.  We do not have specific standards for access to electronic media,
information systems etc.  I would like to see some minimum standards
developed.

>certainly cannot expect the regulations to spell out every required
>accommodation for every combination of disabilities . . . this is why there
>is not--and will never be complete "checklist" of ADA requirements for any
>service or facility.  Nor can the regulations be expected to know in
>advance what possible technological services might be provided by an
>entity, through which configuration of hardware and software, etc.

This is true and libraries will be responsible for providing access based
on individual needs.  However, the usual practice of waiting to see if
persons with disabilities come into the library and demand adaptions is
inadaquate. It is possible to develop accessible workstations that provide
access to many persons with disabilities.  You don't wait until a person in
a wheelchair arrives at the bottom of the stairs to begin looking at
installing ramps.  There is a catch 22 here.  When services are
inaccessible, persons with disabilities stay away.

>Given the scoping requirements for parking lots and the confusion regarding
>how these interface with State and local requirements, the parking lot
>requirements are not nearly as exacting as you might believe.  I teach an
>occasional course on the ADA Accessibility Guidelines for building
>contractors at a local community college, and I can tell you that people
>who know a great deal about the parking lot requirements, for example, have
>many questions about applying the requirements in specific situations and
>can debate these issues for hours (if you let 'em).  In short:
>accommodating INDIVIDUALS with disabilities is not prescriptive.
>
>Yes, this means that we have an infinitely complex set of variables to deal
>with, and must use creative approaches to solve individual access problems.
>The ADA establishes the goal; we must develop objectives that will achieve
>the goal of equal access for individuals, whose needs are infinitely
>diverse.

>Why is this so hard for some people to understand or accept?
>MIKE GUNDE

My experience is that most people don't have a clue.  Without some
guidelines they do nothing. When libraries provide access and get out the
word, the services are used.  Without parking spaces, curb cuts, ramps etc.
many persons with disabilities can't even get into the library. These
"prescriptive" solutions provide access to many but not all patrons with
disabilities.  In a similar fashion, accessible computer workstations
provide access to many but not all persons with disabilities.  Libraries
are still responsible for providing access to these individuals.

John Moore
Texas Assistive Technology Partnership