AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:44:11 -0600
>I am looking for a good current (1995-) source of information about
>making public libraries ADA compliant. What we need is a kind of
>'checklist' covering issues of physical accessibility, communication,
>online and internet access requirements, etc. Thanks!

Good question, but no simple answer,
        The Trace Center put out a library checklist in 1992.  It is pretty
good but dated.  It makes suggestions for access.  One problem is that
there are no national standards for libraries that cover such things as
Internet access or access to other electronic media (if there are I haven't
found them).  It would be nice if there were concerete ADA standards which
a library could follow.

        I think that libraries should provide accessible computer
workstations that provide access to card catalogs, databases and the
Internet. Having these in place and making the public aware that they are
available increases library use by persons with disabilities.  The usual
approach has been to look into  access only if it is requested by a
specific library patron.

        Since this is an area that is probably of interest to most of the
persons on this list.  I hope that responses are posted to the list.

Thanks..and good luck,

John Moore