From:
Brighteyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:55:25 -0800
Hello Rob,
The biggest problem is mostly some older software and yes some
old hardware. By now, however, Microsoft has greatly extended all
the things that are compatible with that OS.
I can put it this way, if you have hardware that is a year and half old,
I would not worry about it at all. Just make sure you get all new MFG drivers for all of your
hardware and get all that up to date first. Make sure you get MB drivers also and if need be
flash the Bios. I didnt  have to, that was a good thing. Win2k is compatable with the Bios 1006
versions. So thats a good thing. If you dont have to flash, dont!
And use them before you use the Windows drivers. They will work better. And for things that you
cant get an upgrade for, just go with the Windows drivers, they have many excellent that are
very compatable.
There is also a list they have and you can check to see if your hardware is compatable, and you
can find that by going to the Windows 2000 site.
Keep in mind that they have Service Pack 2 now and since then have changed the list so that
more and more things are compatable with this program.
The other thing is if you get this OS, make sure after you install it that you immediately go
and get the Service Pack 2 and all the Security updates, then do your own drivers, and when
done with that, any left over you didnt have, go back and download the Windows 2000 drivers.
Of course you have to set your Modem up first LOL But if you have updated drivers for that from
the MFG, use those always and first.
Part of the reason that so many things like software clashes is that Windows 98 and such are
still very DOS based which is 16 bit. Many programs and all today are more 32 bit, so you have
that problem of clashing. Windows 2000Pro has no Dos and is 32 bit based, hence you have less
problems with compatability with hardware and software. There is a bit more to this but thats
really the best way, I think to understand why it is better and why that older things may not
always work. But like I said, if your hardware is a year and half old, you will be fine. Unless
it just does not work well anyway.
Funny enough though some things that dont work well with windows 98 work better with Windows
2000. All my hardware now works the way it should have to begin with . *S* I am a very happy
camper.
Hope that this helped you some. If not keep asking.
Best wishes,
Sue Dobbs

<<SNIP>>
Sue and others, 2000 sounds terrific, but aren't there programs that won't run on it?

Is this true? If so, which ones? And, if so, why?

Rob
<<SNIP>>

---