From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:41:41 -0500
Just maybe, the two motherboard bios are not using the same drive specs.  If
you change from LBA mode to LARGE mode and you change the heads, sectors,
cylinders mapping, (which you might not see because some bios simply replace
the values with 'auto' in the setup form), you SOMETIMES have to repartition
the drive.  There is no law that says you can't under-size a drive in cmos,
but if you do you have a FAT that does not point to the entire file area.
When you resize the drive in a different CMOS this can cause trouble.  The
opposite situation is a FAT with entries to clusters that don't exist,
because the cmos setting is smaller than the one used when the drive was
partitioned.
This is not always a problem.  I think it would be an unlikely cause unless
the bios were very different in age, and especially unlikely if the same
bios is on both motherboards, but it is possible.  You will have to
determine this by what you know about your systems.
You should partition and format the drive in the system it is going to be
permanently installed into.  As a matter of fact, I don't see how anything
was gained by installing windows on a drive from a different computer than
the one where it will be used.  All the device drivers have to be updated
twice.
Tom Turak