From:
Tom Billiodeaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:24:21 -0500
(Yes we do realize that it is going to cost us more then buying a
>complete unit - but what a great way to learn

I do not think you will find that it will cost you more, but rather you will
save about $200 for a comprable system.
You are going in the right direction starting with the chipset and mobo.
This will determine your performance, not the processor.
Also the ease of setup and eliminate many conflict potentials.
Don't get a First generation mobo.

Concerning chipsets, first you must decide either Athlon or Intel, for the
processors will be limited to the chipset type.

I see that you are leaning to Athlon, so be aware of the power supply
concerns for 1.4G processors (400w is being recommended by loaded system
gammers, instead of the 350w).
That is one of the differnces comes in between Athlon and Intel.
Also more case cooling is required.

Abit, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI
I'm sure you know about www.forums.Anandtech.com
It is the best I know of for insight about hardware and free tech help.

I agree with the Athlon 760, but I do not require fast video apps.

my system:
Abit SE6 mobo (815e chipset, built in video/audio)
Mushkin 256 CAS2 (512mb total) set at 2/2/2  5/7 timing RAS/CAS
Celeron 800/100 running 1066/133 1.8v std cooling
TEAC 516eb
Delta 52x cdrom (reads ALL cdroms, even what the Teac cannot)
Maxtor 30g, ata100, 7200
ATX mid twr case/250w
($550)

Have fun.