C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:18:20 -0800
Mag, when you are not feeling good it must make a huge
differance in your behavior. I can remember being
sleep deprived ( and pain didn't come into the
equation either) when the kids were babies. They were
spitter-uppers to and I can remember my mom telling
me I should wear nicer shirts etc to keep my husbands
interest. You can imagine the blow up with that scene.
If I had more sleep I probley would have thought to
just  hand her a kid and let her nice shirt take the
punishment but I wasn't thinking straight. As life
went on  as  much as I love my mom and I do dearly, I
realizd she wasn't going to change but I could change
the way I reacted to her. It takes a lot of practice
but find a personal saying to repeat to yourself,
count to ten ,do whatever to give yourself some mental
space to distract yourself beofre you react. Another
thing I do is try to place myself in thier shoes. It's
easier to do with a stranger( say someone cuts me off
on the  highway, I just think they must be rushing to
the hospital to have a baby and it makes me simmer
down. Makes me outright laugh when I realize it's all
guys in the car)With a friend or someone personal you
know thier sad spots, just think of that. We all blow
up at the ones we need the most( maybe it's because we
hate admitting we need and depend on them) but talk
it out it calmer moments and both need to really try
to change.
Joanne