C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:11:03 -0800
Rayna's falling has me wondering about something. Alex
has moderate spastic quad CP. He is the worlds
champion crawler, plays his own version of baseball,
basketball,golf,hockey on his knees. It can be quite
hilarous as he plays both defense and offense in the
team sports,at the same time and keeps up a running
commentary ;). To walk he needs a walker, afo's and a
hip/thigh brace to stabilize him and even then he
won't stand independantly. He appears to enjoy
"walking" if you judge by the smile on his face but it
obviously requires lots of effort. The question...when
you were 6 or just starting to walk independantly were
you afraid to stand alone/walk because of falling?
what does it feel like? Is it a brain thing, like you
get dizzy when you have a fever, a leg thing that the
legs just aren't as strong, a perception thing as
things must look differant standing as oppose to being
on the  floor. How can I help give him confidence. I
know walking at this point is an alternative mode of
ambulation and most likely will never be his main
means of motion which is ok  but I would like him to
have as many options as possible.
Joanne