From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:15:23 -0700
Dolores,

Before putting in new memory, you need to determine how much memory you have
now, so that you can tell if the system recognizes any that you add.  When
you boot the machine, the system should display the memory count while going
through the power on self test, before all of the CMOS information is
displayed and well before your operating systems starts.  If you have a
Windows 95 or more recent version of Windows, and you can't get your memory
value at boot, you can open the Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
System Information utility from the Start menu which will tell you how much
memory the system has installed.

Inserting memory is quite easy, particularly if your machine is very new.
Since you did not say the speed or model of of your processor, I'm guessing
that you have a Duron or Athlon, which more than likely use PC-100 or PC-133
SDRAM.  Since PC-133 will work for both and the cost is pretty much the same
anymore, you should start there, but if you'd care to say which model &
speed you have for sure, we could pinpoint the need exactly.  Now is a good
time to add memory, since prices have gone way, way down.  If your AMD is
older and you need to install SIMMS, then these instructions won't work.
SIMM banks look very different from DIMM slots, and have little metal clips
on the upper side rather than plastic holders on the ends.

First make sure that the computer is turned off, with the switch on the
power supply in the back of your machine if it has a swith there.  If it
doesn't, and expecting that you have an ATX style motherboard, you are
better off pulling the plug before continuing.  You probably have several
slots for the memory cards.  You should just have to add the new one in the
closest open slot to any existing cards.  The SDRAM card or 'stick' has a
slot in it that makes you put it in the right way,  Just make sure the
plastic holders on the ends of the slot are spread out.  Then push the
memory stick STRAIGHT in with a little force, until the holders clamp the
card.  Make sure to ground yourself before touching the memory stick and try
to only touch the ends of the stick, not the contacts on the bottom nor any
of the circuitry.  To ground yourself, (make sure the power is off) touch a
metal part of the open case.

Once the computer is back together, you can recheck the memory count to make
sure it now adds up to the original plus what you added.  If not, it is
likely that the chip is not seated properly in the DIMM slot, so open it up
and try again.  Of course, there is always something that can go wrong, but
if you buy the right memory, don't zap it with static electricity and seat
it in the correct slot, it usually works quite easily.

Good luck,
Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ