From:
Janis L. Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 15:12:55 -0700

Thanks to the many helpful people out there. Suggestions/recipes
received:

Many have suggested Bette Hagaman's original Gluten-Free Flour Mix for
their recipes.  You just have to make sure you add about 1/2-1 teaspoon
of xanthan gum for every cup of flour used in cake recipes.  It is
copyrighted and may not be posted to the list, but you can find a copy
of the formula at www.gfutah.org/cookbook in the bread and muffin section.

`````````````````

2 1/4 cups rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP Egg Replacer - available at health food stores, brand "Ener-g Foods"
   mail order also 1 tsp xanthan gum   -   I always substitute 1 tsp guar gum
1 cup sugar
2 tsp dried lemon peel  (I've been using essential oils, since I use them)
four drops lemon oil.
4  TBSP   "Vance's" DariFree - Health Food Store should have or Ener-g
   Foods -this is what changes this muffin recipe to cake, more like pound
   cake, but cake.

Mix dry all together well, Mix wet ingredients together then mix wet to
dry and stir.

1 cup orange juice (any will do)
1/3 cup lemon concentrated lemon juice
8 eggs,  -   I've always used "Egg Beaters" A full container of 16 oz.
8 TBSP of oil,  -   I use Safflower for baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on pan size Toothpick
should come clean when tested in center, if edges are turning brown and
pulling away from sides it's done.

Frosting, Powder Sugar and some juice for a glaze type, drizzle over or
pour and add sprinkles, Even using  items sold in decorating aisle, you
can easily remove before the celiac eat it.

Does not age well, 2 days at the most than put what your not eating in
freezer, or put in freezer before it gets old.  Muffins microwaved or
left to defrost on their own are great.  It's not that the cake goes
bad, it just taste stale.

Lemon Sheet Cake ... super quick and easy. (I tried it and it was good)

4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 TBSP grated lemon peel
2 TBSP lemon juice
3/4 cup GF flour mix
1/2 tsp xanthan gum or 1/2 tsp of guar gum

Beat eggs and sugar on high for 5 minutes.

Add vanilla, oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, and flour sifted with xanthan
gum.  I use a plastic mesh colander.

7" x 11 " pan
375 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes, or until cake begins to pull from sides of
pan and top feels set when touched lightly.