From:
Janis L. Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 09:16:02 -0700

Thanks to the many helpful people out there. Suggestions/recipes
received:

Many have suggested Bette Hagaman's original Gluten-Free Flour Mix for
their recipes.  You just have to make sure you add about 1/2-1 teaspoon
of xanthan gum for every cup of flour used in cake recipes.  It is
copyrighted and may not be posted to the list, but you can find a copy
of the formula at www.gfutah.org/cookbook in the bread and muffin section.

`````````````````

2 1/4 cups rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP Egg Replacer - available at health food stores, brand "Ener-g Foods"
   mail order
1 tsp xanthan gum   -   I always substitute 1 tsp guar gum
1 cup sugar
2 tsp dried lemon peel  (I've been using essential oils, since I use them)
four drops lemon oil.
4  TBSP   "Vance's" DariFree - Health Food Store should have or Ener-g
   Foods -this is what changes this muffin recipe to cake, more like pound
   cake, but cake.

Mix dry all together well, Mix wet ingredients together then mix wet to
dry and stir.

1 cup orange juice (any will do) 1/3 cup lemon concentrated lemon juice
8 eggs,  -   I've always used "Egg Beaters" A full container of 16 oz.
8 TBSP of oil,  -   I use Safflower for baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on pan size Toothpick
should come clean when tested in center, if edges are turning brown and
pulling away from sides it's done.

Frosting, Powder Sugar and some juice for a glaze type, drizzle over or
pour and add sprinkles, Even using  items sold in decorating aisle, you
can easily remove before the celiac eat it.

Does not age well, 2 days at the most than put what your not eating in
freezer, or put in freezer before it gets old.  Muffins microwaved or
left to defrost on their own are great.  It's not that the cake goes
bad, it just taste stale.

``````````````````````

Lemon Sheet Cake ... super quick and easy. (I tried it and it was good)

4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 TBSP grated lemon peel
2 TBSP lemon juice
3/4 cup GF flour mix
1/2 tsp xanthan gum or 1/2 tsp of guar gum

Beat eggs and sugar on high for 5 minutes.

Add vanilla, oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, and flour sifted with xanthan
gum.  I use a plastic mesh colander.

7" x 11 " pan 375 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes, or until cake begins to
pull from sides of pan and top feels set when touched lightly.

Some more for y'all...

White Cake Recipe

2 cups GF mix
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup milk or milk substitute
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs

Mix well!

Heat oven to 350.  Grease and flour baking pan, 13 X 9 X 2"
or 2 round layer pans or for cupcakes (muffin tins) - use paper
liners.

Measure all ingredients into a large bowl.  Blend 1/2 minute on
low speed, scraping bowl constantly.  Beat 3 minutes on high
speed, scraping bowl occasionally.  Pour into pans.  Bake 40-45
minutes for oblong, 30-35 for round, and 15-20 for cupcakes or until
wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.  Cool.

I tend to make cupcakes as they freeze well.  I just take them out
and pop them into the microwave and they are GREAT!

``````````````````````

Wacky Cake:  Probably posted on playgroup website.

The flour mix I used is called GF Cake Flour.  Converted it, using a
standard gf flour mix .  Chocolate omitted,and added spices to cover up
that bland taste. Use a mock butter cream frosting (i.e. Wilton's
Buttercream w/ safe margarine and just water to moisten).  Go to
www.lasmadres.org/allergies and click on the recipes link, then go to cakes.

```````````````````````````````````

I use real, usalted popcorn (not microwave), make a melted marshamllow
thing like rice krispies and add miniature cooking gumdrops. Put this a
bundt pan.

When you take it out the little gumdrops really dress up the white
popcorn.

The kids though this was great as well. You could also use M&Ms.

``````````````````````

Ooo ... this is a good one too:

mix together:

2 cups rice flour (or any combination of gluten free flours you use)
2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

In another bowl
1 cup oil
add 4 eggs, one a time and beat well
add 1 14 oz. can of crushed pineapple (not drained)
3 cups of grated carrots

Pour into dry ingredients and stir well with a wooden spoon.

Pour into 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until knife
comes out clean.

Icing: I use cream cheese with lemon juice and honey (or plain to avoid
dairy)

`````````````

This fabulous recipe comes from the cake section of
www.gfutah.org/cookbook
.  Feel free to post it.

YELLOW CAKE
Amber Lee

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (use dairy free margarine like Nucoa or
Fleischmann's) 2/3 cup sugar 2 large eggs 1 tsp vanilla 1 cup gluten-
free flour mix 1/2 tsp xanthan 1 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 cup
milk (use rice, soy or other milk substitute)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.

2.  Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and
vanilla and beat well.

3.  Combine flour mix, xanthan, baking powder, soda, and salt in a medium
sized bowl.

4.  Add dry ingredients to egg mixture with milk and mix until smooth.

5.  Pour into greased and rice-floured 8-inch round cake pan.  Bake at
350 F for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out
clean.

Cool completely before frosting.

Note:  I have made this cake using the dairy free substitutions mentioned
above and it is every bit as good as the original dairy containing
version.

````````````````

Go into any cood cake book....those by Nick Malgieri and Julia Child
come to mind and check out Genoise cakes...they work.   Also use your
favorite cake recipe...even from the old days and use CORNSTARCH measure
for measure instead of wheat flour.  It comes out light and delicious.
Been doing this for yers....and check out the archives

````````````

The Carol Fenster book "Special Celebrations" has several cakes which are
GF and the receipies have substitutes right there to convert to dairy
free.

````````````

This is the most impressive g.f. cake I know of and the other, whipped
cream cake, can be made using coffee rich (8 oz. carton in frozen
section)...

Sponge Cake
Manischewitz Potato Starch Box

8 extra large eggs, separated
1 1/2 c. sifted sugar
3 Tbs. lemon juice
1 full cup potato starch, sifted
Dash of salt

Separate the eggs. Beat yolks for 2 min. at high speed.  Add sugar, lemon
juice & rind.  Mix for 2 min. at medium speed. Add potato starch & mix
for 2 min. longer. Set aside.  Wash beaters well. In a grease free bowl,
beat the egg whites until very stiff.  Gently but thoroughly, fold
whites into yolk mixture.  Place in an ungreased 2- piece tube pan.  Run
a knife through the batter to remove air pockets.

Bake at 3500 for 55-65 min., or until cake springs back when firmly
touched w/ finger.  (The top will cracked & dry.)

Invert pan.  Cool thoroughly before removing from pan.  (If eggs are not
extra large, add an extra one.)

Whipped Cream Cake (note - not dairy free)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease an 8x12 inch pan. Sift dry ingredients:
   1 1/2 c. oriental rice flour (a must!)
   2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
   1/4 tsp. salt

Whip until stiff:
   1 c. cold whipping cream

Add:
   2 eggs
   1 c. sugar
   1 tsp. g.f. vanilla

Continue beating until no longer gritty.

Add dry ingredients,  blend in w/ wire whisk. Pour into prepared pan.
Tap on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake for 30-45 min, or until it
tests done. Top w/ cinnamon sugar while still warm or cool well & frost.
Make a double recipe in a 9x13" pan.

Carrot Cake - a real hit
Dzioba
Beat:  4 eggs    2 c. sugar      3/4 c. oil
Add: 3-4 oz. jars Gerber strained carrots
Mix together & add to above:
  2 c. g.f. flour               3 tsp. cinnamon
  2 tsp. baking soda       1 tsp. salt
  1 tsp. xanthan gum
Stir in: 1 c. chopped nuts, if desired
Pour into lightly greased 9x13" pan.  Bake at 3500 for 40 minute.  Frost
w/ butter cream or cream cheese frosting.

``````````````

There is a great Celiac Support Website on Delphi.com  If you go to
Delphi and type in "Celiac Disease" you will find the website.  Then
click on the "message" tab at the top of the page.

``````````````

Basic Cake

1/3 cup unsalted butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 cup white or brown rice flour
6 tablespoons potato starch
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice plus enough
   non-dairy milk [rice or soy] to equal 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Basic Cake takes many forms. Here it becomes a Caramelized Pear Torte.

Preheat oven to 3250. Generously grease 8 x 4-inch nonstick loaf pan or
two 8-inch nonstick round cake pans. Line cake pans with waxed paper or
parchment paper. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer and a large mixer bowl, cream together the
butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs
on low speed until blended. Add the grated lemon peel.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, xanthan gum, baking powder,
baking soda, and salt. In another medium bowl, combine the buttermilk and
vanilla. On low speed, beat the dry ingredients into the butter mixture,
alternating with the buttermilk3/4 beginning and ending with the dry
ingredients. Mix just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared
pan and smooth the top.

Bake the loaf pan for about 50 minutes, cake pans for 25-30 minutes or
until top is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out
clean. Cool cake in pan(s) for 5 minutes, then remove from pan(s) and cool
on rack. Serves 10.

Calories 195, Fat 6g, Protein

```````````

kosher for passover cake, and then freeze until needed.

```````````

go to www.pannerizzo.com and you can order a fresh homemade b-day cake
directly from them...they deliver in the Seattlearea!! They ship too!
Panne Rizo is at:  1939 Cornwall Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada  V6J 1C8;
fax  604-736-0825; phone 604-736-0835.

Panne Rizo will also be one of the vendors (with lots of samples) at the
upcoming Gluten Intolerance Group conference in Tacoma on June 2 and 3.
Wonderful food and great comaraderie!

``````````````

in Black Diamond (on the Maple Valley Hwy - Seattle area), there is a
regular bakery called CJ's or C & J Bakery.  They do bake GF products
by order and sometimes stock a few items in the freezer.  I would call
them and ask about the dairy.  Nuts and chocolate are easier to avoid.
I've bought muffins and flat breads there and know they also make cake.

``````````````

Flour Mix for cake recipes:

1 pound bag (about 5 1/2 cups) garbanzo (chick pea) flour
1 pound, 12 oz. tapioca flour (6 1/2 cups, about)  (we use 2 14-oz. bags
   from an Asian grocery)
6 cups corn starch
5 Tablespoons xanthan gum (a health food store item)
scant 2 Tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer (another health food store item)
1.1/2 tablespoon agar (the seaweed used by vegetarians for 'jello' -
   Hagman uses gelatin and I suppose that would work fine, too)

Cake recipe:
for one 9 inch round layer
preheat oven to 350 degrees F
grease and flour your pans

stir together 1 cup gf flour, 1/4 teasoon baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking
powder, and 1/4 tsp salt.

beat together 1/3 cup shortening, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (Mc Cormick's,
Tone's), and 3/4 cup sugar
add, beating well after each, 2 eggs
add alternately and in small amounts, blending after each addition
reserved dry ingredients and 1/2 cup soy milk with 1/2 tsp. of vinegar to
approximate sour milk

bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top springs back to the touch or a
toothpick comes out clean.

I frosted this with a simple margarine (Fleishmans salt-free stick is
non-dairy), confectioner's sugar, water and food coloring (it was
definitely 'kid food')

The only difference with two layers, apart from doubling the ingredients,
is that Marilyn Moore uses 3 eggs for a 2-pan recipe.  We'd probably
still use 4 eggs, but you can vary and see how it goes.  We live at sea
level.

Bette Hagman's featherweight yellow cake from her fast and simple
cookbook is good.  Miss Roben's cake mixes very good.  Great luck with
Silver Palate carrot cake with Hagman's four bean flour mix and xantham gum.

cake mix from www.causeyourespecial.com. The cake is like the "real"
thing.  We loved it. Hope this helps.

Thanks one and all
Janis