EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:16:21 -0500
On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:21:18 -0800, asdevany <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I do not subscribe to any simple ratios as a guide to nutrition.  When
followed they diminish the variety that I regard as essential to good
nutrition.  There must be variation in the amount and kinds of foods one
eats and these strict and formulaic diets completely eliminate this heathy
variation.

Art, I have not decided to shoot for 70% calories from fat as part of a
prescription or diet program; although I started with the paleodiet
premises.  That is what I naturally gravitate towards through trial and
error.  I can hardly force myself to swallow a piece of white meat chicken,
so I eat the dark meat only.  I only like the fattiest cuts of meat.  I
like some nuts.  Fruit makes me sick, tired, sleepy, etc. so I eat some
berries and other low carb fruits.

>Brad Cooley's experience is like many others I have heard about
Evolutionary Fitness.  But, Brad, you are eating too much fat and seem not
to be getting enough fiber, though that is hard to tell.

I am not aware that fiber is essential to good health.  In my thinking,
humans have evolved to be generalists.  So it is evolutionarily
advantageous to be able to survive on many types of food.  The Inuit eat an
all meat diet, no fiber.  Other native peoples eat as little as 35% of
calories from animal sources and consume a great deal of fibrous foods.
However, I see no evolutionary advantage that a diet dependent on fiber
would give to humans when fibrous foods are not always available.

>It is true that the kind of meat you are eating is better balanced in
Omega 3/ Omega 6 composition.  But, it is hard to eat that much fat and not
take in too many calories.

I am currently consuming 2000-3000 calories per day.  Some days I consume
much more or much less.  At an LBM of 183 lbs and working out 2-3x a week,
I am sure that my daily average calolric needs are well over 3000
calories.  My body is overcoming the caloric deficit by burning bodyfat.

Once I reach a much lower percentage of bodyfat, then my appetite will
surely increase.  At that point maybe 70% calories from fat is too high,
and I may overeat.  But intuitively, I don't believe so.  I really don't do
well on fruit.  I do eat some leafy green vegetables 1-2x per week with no
problems, but the added calories from vegetables is negligible to my total
daily intake.

>In his attempt to reduce insulin response Brad is eating too many
calories, even if his weight is under better control when he eats a high
fat diet.

I don't think that I am eating too many calories as I stated above.  I
believe that being in a state of ketosis helps in appetite suppression.

>You must eat foods that are dense in nutrients relative to the calories
they contain.

Are fruits and vegetables more dense in nutrients than meat, particularly
grass-fed?

>And, you must skip dinner once in a while, with no snack before bed.  When
you go to bed on an empty stomach on a day when you worked out in the
morning, you release large amounts of GH.

I have done this per your suggestions with fantastic results.  I have never
been stronger, and am losing fat at a rapid rate.

Art, thanks for your reply.  Your training program has really done wonders
for me and I am looking forward to your book and further discussions on
this list.

Brad