EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 22:27:55 -0600
> Correct me if I am wrong, but when you say "squat rack" do you mean a smith
> machine (the bar goes up and down in a groove and has no front to back
> movement)?

Yes, this is the type of equipment I am using.

> leaning forward on free squats I would look at a few things because
> that is not a healthy way to perform the exercise.  I would first look at
> hamstring flexability.

I do not have good hamstring flexibility, and have not been successful with
general stretching to improve the flexibility.  Are there any specific
suggestions for improving this flexibility?

> hamstrings are short they are likely also weak, making them your priority in
> training for a time would likely be helpful.

What exercises target hamstrings to strengthen them?

> finally trunk stability from
> the abs and lower back...do they have proper flexability and strength?

I do stomach crunches to the front and both sides.  What other exercises
help target the abs and lower back?

> the mean time reduce the weight on squats such that you can complete squats
> with perfect form.

I do this, using light enough weight to keep good form while doing high
reps, but still using the Smith Machine because my form appears better than
with free squats.

Thanks,
Marylee