C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:05:16 EST
Hey Vince,

Good to hear from you again, and thank you for your empathetic condolences.

What you shared is also my understanding about the events surrounding Tracy's
death.  I know I haven't followed this story as long as you have though.  I
have only been disabled for four years or so now (give or take a few months
or years depending on when the progression actually started).  Prior to that
I was lost in an Able Bodied pit of ignorance (no offense intended to
informed and aware ABs, only to my former self).

My concern is not so much about Robert Latimer.  I do have a special place in
my heart for Tracy, but there will always be these isolated incidences. I'm
more concerned that a public depiction of Mr. Latimer as a merciful man will
fuel the misguided notion many people have that we are suffering, and that
some of us are better off "out of our misery."  If this is the way he is
being depicted, I think it's a good idea for the museum to hear from as many
of us as possible.

As far as I know (and you would know better), the Canadian media has never
stressed the lack of resources available to the Latimer family.  It always
seems to fall back on "poor Robert and his untold suffering."  I don't doubt
that he was stressed and driven to the edge.  In fact, I really don't judge
him at all.  He admitted that he committed this crime and it was up to the
Canadian judicial system to judge him.  I just don't see that this story has
ever had consciousness raising media coverage.

If this had happened in the US, I have no doubt that the story would be the
same.  As it is, I suspect that only a handful of US folks has even heard of
Tracy Latimer, and I'm sure they can be found in the disability community.

I'm rambling.  I think of this particular child often.

Betty

In a message dated 10/30/2000 10:10:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Betty,
>
>  It's Vince, a list lurker from Canada. First, I'd like to express my
>  smypathies regarding AstroBird.  In my years, a number of cherished pets
>  have passed.  In my own way I feel for you.  What makes these difficult
>  times easier is that the ones we love (Animals or People) live in our
>  memories of them.  Even decades later, the memories warm my heart and bring
>  a genuine smile.
>
>  Now, about Mr. Latimer.  As a Canadian with CP, I have followed this story
>  with much interest and concern.  To make a very long story very short, Mr.
>  Latimer was a farmer living in a rural community in Alberta.  His daughter,
>  Tracy, was born with a very severe form of CP 14 years before.  The news
had
>  said that Tracy, was totally dependant on family her parents for her care.
>  Tracy, it was said was in constant pain as her muscle spasms where so
severe
>  that they would cause her joints to be pulled from their sockets.
>
>  Because the Latimers didn't live in a major center, there were no support
>  services for the family to access for Tracy, and Mrs. Latimer was (I think)
>  7 or 8 months pregnant at the time of Tracy's death.
>
>  Mr. Latimer freely admits that he put Tracy in his pick up track and ran a
>  hose from the tail pipe to the cab, killing Tracy.  The debate seems to be
>  from two camps.  Those who see it as a mercy killing, by a man overwhelmed
>  by his situation in life, and those who see him as a heartless murderer.
>
>  If any other list members have any corrections or clarifications to what
>  I've written here, please make them.  This is the info as I recall it. No
>  tomato throwing, please.
>
>  Peace,
>
>  Vince

Betty