C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:16:49 EST
The link to the Provincial Museum's Anno Domini exhibit is:
http://susan.chin.gc.ca/Exhibitions/Annodomini/entrance-en.html

I didn't find any reference to Robert Latimer, and sent the museum an e-mail
requesting information to be e-mailed or snail mailed to me about the way he
is portrayed in the exhibit.  To be honest, I don't expect an answer but I'm
prepared to follow up with strategy snail mail within the coming week.

I don't like to write letters without having information straight from the
horse's mouth, but I can always reference the newspaper article in lieu of
direct information if necessary.

If you want to do some research and write your own letter to the Provincial
Museum of Alberta, here is the street address:

Provincial Museum of Alberta
12845-102 Avenue,
Edmonton, Alberta, T5N 0M6, Canada
Phone:  (780) 453-9137
Fax:  (780) 454-6629

Approximately 20% of the population is disabled.  We are the largest minority
in the world.  Our voices will count if we raise them.  I do not intend to
voice belligerence in my letter(s) to the museum, and did not do so in my
e-mail.  Apparently this exhibit is simply portraying the misconception
accepted by the general population.  I do intend to be tenacious, however, in
sharing my opinion about the murder of Tracy Latimer and how her murderer
should be regarded.

Betty

In a message dated 10/30/2000 3:58:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> EXHIBIT SHOWS LATIMER AS ONE OF JESUS' "MERCIFUL"
>  by Dave Reynolds,  Inclusion Daily Express
>  October 30, 2000
>
>  EDMONTON, ALBERTA--Disability rights advocates are demanding an apology
from
>  the Provincial Museum over an exhibit's depiction of a convicted killer as
>  modern-day example of "mercy". The groups are also asking that a video
>  presentation, which puts Robert Latimer in the same category as Nelson
>  Mandela and Mother Theresa, be edited to remove any reference to the man
who
>  admitted killing his daughter in 1993.
>
>  "I am actually appalled that a public institution would put the murder of a
>  child with a disability in the context of the Beatitudes of being blessed
as
>  merciful," Zuhy Sayeed, of the Canadian and Alberta Association of
Community