Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:28:48 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt said:
Re: human breastmilk analyse, i think this is likely the way she
> is requiring her food.
> It has not very much fat, not at all. And is high in natural carbs.

Actually, 1 cup of human breast milk contains 171 calories per cup and a
total of 10.7 grams of fat (4.9 grams of saturated fat and 5.3 grams
unsaturated fat).  It also contians 34 grams of cholesterol.

That means that human breast milk derives 57% of calories from fat.  (I
guess you could say its not so much fat, relative toStefanson's artic diet!
:-))  Mothers milk contains 6% protein.   (As an aside, some people argue
that since mother's milk is low in protein, on a percentage basis, adults
don't need much protein; however, mother's milk need not be high in protein
because the baby consumes a lot of it relative to body weight.)  If you
figure the number of grams of protein a baby consumes, relative to body
weight, a human baby will typically consume 2.5 grams of protein per pound
of body weight, per day.

> Milk sugar is included too - i suppose for sake of enhancing the intestinal
> flora.

Yes the lactose in breast milk serves that purpose.  In the book,"Nourishing
Traditions" by Sally Fallon, there is a recipe for a homemade "milk based
formula," which contains DHA (as does mother milk, but not all formulas).
Stacie, You might want to try that.  It could simplify your life and Zoe's
for a while and might boost her health.  I also know of a variation on that
recipe which I could e-mail to you next week if you like.  I know of mothers
who've used it.

Rachel Matesz