From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:25:25 -0500
Hi all,
Some time ago I mentioned that we had sent Zoe's stool to Great Smokies Lab
for CDSA. (Zoe is two and a half years old.)

Today I spoke with the nutirtionist who evaluated the test results together
with an MD. The test showed that Zoe is not digesting fats well at all. The
nutritionist knows that we eat generally paleo, and suggested that we should
cut back on fat and add more carbs (dates, bananas, honey) to Zoe's diet.

It seems to me that what we need to do is figure out the cause for the poor
fat digestion. The nutritionist says that this can be caused by the gall
bladder not producing enough bile, or lack of pancreatic enzyme, or simply
too much fat in the diet.

Zoe eats a lot of coconut milk, nuts, and pork breakfast sausages. I put
"raw" olive oil on her vegetables (that is, I don't heat the oil). She eats
these almost daily. I really didn't think that was too much fat for a little
kid. Thoughts?

What I really want to know, and the nutritionist avoided answering this
(maybe she has no idea) is WHY would her gall bladder not be producing
enough bile? WHY would there be lack of pancreatic enzyme? How do we know if
this is the case (she said it's hard to tell...) and what do we do to
correct it?

The Rx for Zoe is this: She should have 4-5 drops of Swedish Bitters before
every meal, a dairy-free probiotic supplement to prevent pathogen
overgrowth, and the nutritioist is looking into a digestive enzyme for her.

Has anyone been through this before?
Thanks in advance for your input, suggestions, comments...
Stacie