From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 09:42:36 -0700
"Michael A. Wosnick" wrote:

>As I researched more and more about networks, routers, hubs, VPNs etc, I
began learning a bit about HomePNA based networks that run from your
installed telephone lines. This has great appeal if they really work
well, since I have two other older computers that I would love to work
in, but cannot contemplate the Ethernet wiring due to the geography in
my house.

Wiring a home can present many headaches and hiring someone to wire your
home is expensive and I can appreciate what you're saying about wiring.

>Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with home networks run over telephone lines?

I have installed several of these home network systems in clients homes.
My choice is from Intel and it is called AnyPoint Home Network.
http://www.intel.com/anypoint/

I have found that these work well and you can access all of the
computers on the system as well as share printers.I haven't had the
opportunity to to install a home network where there was a cable modem
involved. On the other hand I have experience with 56k's and ADSL. The
software provided by Intel is straight forward and simple to setup. You
can share drives for complete access or you can set them up as read
only.

There are several models to choose from. PCI and USB in either the
1mbps. or 10mbps. speed range.You can mix and match with these adapters.
A new addition to the line is a wireless adapter which some folks like
especially if they have a lap top. You can sit by the pool and surf. The
speed on this model is only 1.6mbps. but then again, maybe this is fast
enough for most people.

>My issues remain the same - VPN access, cable modem sharing, security using printer and file sharing etc.

After you install the hardware you are directed to choose your access
privileges from full access to no access.Included in the package are
parental controls which is a key feature.

One problem you may encounter using the PCI model is resources. This is
one of the reasons I choose USB over PCI in some situations.

I use the USB model for my home network and it doesn't present a
problem. It will even work with a Firewall such as Zone Alarm.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                     visit our download web page at: