C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:37:35 -0400
Just thought I'd share this with all of you. The first e-mail touched off a lot of complaints to Nike from parents on CPParent (and others). I've then included Nike's response.

Yvonne
*********************************************************************************************************************************

Posted to CPParent Oct. 21/00 :

<<<<<<An advertisement in Backpacker Magazine (October, 2000).
It is an ad for Nike ACG (All Conditions Gear) extreme sports trail
running shoe:

And I quote:
"...Fortunately the Air Dri-Goat features a patented goat-like outer
sole for increased traction so you can taunt mortal injury without
actually experiencing it. Right about now you're probably asking
yourself 'How can a trail running shoe with an outer sole designed like
a goat's hoof help me avoid compressing my spinal cord into a Slinky on
the side of some unsuspecting conifer, thereby rendering me a drooling,
misshapen non-extreme-trail-running husk of my former self, forced to
roam the earth in a motorized wheelchair with my name embossed on one of
those cute little license plates you get at carnivals or state fairs,
fastened to the back?'..."

Nike has a web site www.nike.com   On that site they have a "talk to us"
area to send messages.  I believe an apology should be printed, not just
the ad withdrawn.

It may also be helpful to contact Backpacker Magazine.

Bill

William Stiers, Ph.D.
Chief, Rehabilitation Psychology and Neuropsychology
Clinical Associate Professor
University of Kansas Medical Center>>>>>>>>>

Posted to CPParent Oct 24/00 :

<<<<<It appears Nike has released a statement this afternoon, at least, on