From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 12:52:24 -0400
On Fri, 26 May 2000 09:51:09 +1000, Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>... Therefore, weight drops until the level of your
>insulin resistance is met, and it won't fall further unless you can drop
>your insulin resistance further (and therefore your insulin levels will
drop
>and therefore the flab will go)....

>To reduce insulin resistance you could try:
>1. Lower carbs than usual, perhaps in your case just less than the Zone
>2.  Exercise is also good for reducing insulin resistance.

Ben, I'd like to add here my idea, how insulin resistence may
emerge or be fighted, in addition to your points listed
(which i think are all right).

Well, insulin resistence means, that the body's tissue is not responding
to the normal levels of insulin anymore. It's reacting adequately
only with elevated levels of insulin - which has the mentioned
bad effects (also mentioned by Sears by promoting the "bad" eicosanoid
side).

Ok, so insulin signals most body cells to ingest insulin
eather to *use* it (burning or metabolizing otherwise)
or to *store* it (as fat).

So, if cells can only burn slowly, then the glucose level will not
drop as normal, and eventually higher and longer insulin peaks will result.
Organs with insulin receptors in the follow-up will (have to) reduce
their sensitivity to the hormone.

Now, the Krebs Cycle (all carbohydrate burning pathway) requires some
essential substances to function.
I mention thiamin, riboflavin, ascorbat, niacin
(pantothenic acid, folic acid... you may know even more).
As these are vitamins, they must be present in the food.

If they are short in supply some sort of insulin resistance
*should* come up....?

I would guess that the first 4 (except riboflavin) are short in supply
for a very big percentage of the population.

So what to mean as an action agains insulin resistance?
Eating predominately food (not additional) with an abundance
of the above.....

regards

Amadeus S.