RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:41:15 -0700
Hi Kirt,

>>PTSD is a NORMAL reaction to abnormal stimuli. In other words the veteran
>>saw TOO MUCH (horror overload) and reacts accordingly.

>I'm not quite getting you here. Wasn't Peter's point that TOO MUCH is
>something of a cumulative thing which includes a person's whole history,
>especially early traumas as we are then the most defenseless.

Who really knows? Maybe it is a cumulative thing. Some 'experts' say it is
the least intelligent ones who get PTSD the worst!  I had a great childhood
but I think if I had seen some of the atrocities that were available in
Vietnam, I would hope that I would have some sort of post traumatic stress
reaction. If I had no reaction to that kind of stress, I would wonder about
myself. Someone said that being in Vietnam was like being in a major car
accident every day for a year. (13 months for Marines). Some other
'experts' think that those with lousy childhoods did better after Vietnam
because they had learned to deal with stress already.
So there are many theories and they change with time along with the
medications and treatments.

>how anything he mentioned was in any way insulting.
'Only the ones who had the dysfunctional backgrounds were afflicted with
PSTD...'
A veteran would be a little miffed if someone were to suggest that his PTSD
was as a result of his his dysfunctional childhood. PTSD assessment is
based on the opposite view: If your childhood indicates abuse, you are not
evaluated as highly as someone w/o previous trauma. You've already got
PTSD, so we won't pay you for much more acquired in a war zone. It doesn't
affect you because you've already got it.

>One would think that how much "action" one has seen is clear factor in
>PTSD, but why wouldn't one's childhood be a factor as well? It sure seems
>to be in nearly every other arena of life.

And also Vietnam Vets were the most malnourished of all vets before they
went to war. eating the standard American diet. Maybe that was a
contributing factor.

Love,
Susan