RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:02:54 +0100
> > Except that most of human evolution occurred somewhere in Africa, and
> > many plants we currently eat originate from Europe, Asia or America.

Carol:
> Is the biochemistry of the plants of Africa so startlingly different
> from that of the plants of Europe, Asia or America?

"Startingly different", I don't know, and I don't think it is, but
that's not the point. Two different plants (whether from the same
continent or not) produce different proteins (or whatever
chemicals). Some may be allergenic or carcinogenic. Since humans have
not been in contact with plants from, say, America, until recently,
they can't possibly have adapted to every allergen or carcinogen in
American edible plants. Even if they were very close to African plants
on the biochemistry viewpoint, just one "new" protein could be enough.

Also, we should keep in mind that genetic adaptation is never
"perfect".

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>