RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:00:18 -0600
Jean-Louis:

> Could you supply the reference (which study? Authors, title, journal,
> volume, page numbers)? I am very interested in any study comparing
> normal cooking and microwaving.

Have a look at "the hidden hazards of microwave cooking"
http://chetday.com/microwave.html

> Wrong. Riboflavin, Niacin and Biotin are not affected by heat, for
> instance.

Dr. Cousens mentions that "although there is some variation in research
findings, most agree that over 50% of the B vitamins are destroyed by
cooking". and "Thiamine losses have been recorded up to 96%, folic acid
losses up to 97%, and biotin losses up to 72%. Vitamin C losses are up
to 70-80%."

> Side note: B-12 deficiency is not uncommon in raw vegetarians/vegans.

Even raw egg and honey, etc. eating vegetarians? Got any references for
the above claim?

> >...breaks down the fiber
>
> Blending/juicing also does.

Blending only breaks it up/fragments it. It doesn't alter it/break it
down like heat does. Juicing removes the fiber. ..I recall seeing some
material somewhere that hypothesized that cooked complex carbs could be
a cause of colon problems, etc., due to the broken down fibers,
starches, etc..

> P.S. An article on http://www.beyondveg.com dealing with the effects
> of cooking will be available when the site opens, so you'll have to
> wait before you get a detailed response...

If you're so intent on showing people they should be cooking their food,
then why do you even bother eating raw? Haven't the article(s) you've
read or participated in convinced you that you should be eating (more)
cooked food? Why are you eating mostly raw then?

I'll buy you a new car if you can prove to me that my body would be
better off if I ate my fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, eggs, honey, etc.
cooked instead of raw. I think I'll trust my body's inner wisdom before
I'd trust some pseudo science.

I read a very convincing study the other day which "proved" that one's
modem will operate better, longer, etc. if it is lightly steamed for a
few minutes. On a similar vein, another study had me believing that if I
were to cook my seeds before planting them, they'd be more bioavailable
and grow bigger, stronger, tastier vegetables. I also heard rumor that
if you dip your penis in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes prior to
sex, you'll be a lot more potent! It was very convincing, loaded with
references of the highest quality, with exacting standards. I think I'll
pass though. ;)

Have a good one,

Wes