From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:15:15 -0400
Ron is right, as usual. Johns Hopkins uses a near-zero-carb, high-fat
ketogenic diet (The Ketogenic Diet,
http://www.neuro.jhmi.edu/Epilepsy/keto.html ) to treat children with
epilepsy. I don't recommend it, however, as it contains lots of non-Paleo
dairy foods (though we do have some raw dairy proponents here). The Paleo
diet is healthier and would likely work better, so that is the most
important step anyone could take in treating Candidiasis (overgrowth of the
fungus Candida albicans)--preferably with the support of a doctor or
alternative practitioner who understands and recommends low-carb diets
(which usually means osteopaths, chiropractors, and naturopathic
practitioners, though there are a few MDs here and there who recommend low
carb diets--such as Dr. Hoffman in New York state who recommends a Paleo
diet to his patients and radio listeners). Herbal remedies might treat the
symptoms temporarily, and may be a useful complement to a Paleo diet, but
without dietary change the same unhealthy foods that caused the problem in
the first place would continue to be consumed and cause a host of negative
health effects in the long run.

My nephews stuck to a Paleo Diet with little problem, but the older one was
pretty motivated because he was having nightmares every night and the Paleo
Diet cured him of that. So it depends how motivated the child is--how much
they want to get healthier--as well as the parent(s) (if the parent
continues to bring modern foods into the house, there's a very good chance
the child will eat them).

One of the most important things is to educate yourself as much as possible,
because none of us are doctors and even doctors get very little training on
Candidiasis or diet and nutrition. Their medical textbooks tell them that
the cause of candidiasis is idiopathic (unknown). It's difficult to treat a
chronic health problem when you don't know what's causing it. Antibiotics
may help in the short run, but with the same high-carb modern foods
continuing to go into the body that caused the Candida overgrowth, the
antibiotics are fighting a losing battle (and killing "good" bacteria along
with the excessive fungi).