From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 22:59:57 -0400
Hi Adrienne,

I used to have extremely dry shins that speckled my dark socks with white
flakes. My socks looked like they had a bad case of dandruff :-). When I
scratched my shins it would create a mini snow storm of dead skin flakes.
Skin lotion didn't help much, so I mostly ignored the problem. I had always
thought this was relatively normal until I cut the gluten and dairy out of
my diet and it cleared up completely (and I later adopted a Paleo diet,
which improved my overall health even more). Now I can't get a single
noticeable flake of skin to come off my shins when I scratch them. This is
just my experience, of course, and your mileage may vary.

If you are still experiencing very dry shins then something is off in your
body. It's not "normal" to have dry shins--at least not if we use
hunter-gatherers as the standard for "normal" instead of the average person
on the Standard American Diet (SAD)--though it's a sufficiently minor
problem that most people do what I used to do and basically ignore it. I
haven't followed this forum closely, so I don't know what you eat. If you've
cut out grains  but are still eating dairy you might want to try cutting out
the dairy. Most people here don't eat grains, but a significant number eat
dairy, so that's why I'm asking about that.

Good luck,
Paleo Phil