From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:55:00 -0400
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Paleogal wrote:

> In reading this post I recall a post or two with Amadeus and yourself a
> couple of years back discussing the most efficient amount of protein at one
> sitting to be around 35 grams.  Most efficient meaning utilizable.  Is my
> recollection correct?  Oliva

Yes.  The Eades say about 40g.  But the key here is what is meant
by "utilizable."  If you eat more than about 40g, then some of it
is going to be stored as fat, but that's not necessarily bad.  If
overall caloric intake is low anyway, and with the glucagon
release triggered by all that protein, that fat will soon be
pulled back into action for fuel.  When we were discussing
protein utilization, we were thinking in terms of utilizing it
without storing as fat.

A similar point applies to carbs.  According to Dr. Lutz, if you
eat more than about 24g at a meal, you will store the rest as
fat.  But if your overall caloric intake is low, you will burn
that fat.  The difference, however, is that the carbs won't give
you a glucagon spike, and at least some of us find that we are
hungry again pretty soon.

Todd Moody