From:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:43:28 -0500

For those families which have to keep gluten free and casein free there are
some stores to know about in the Brookline  near Boston MA now that
Passover will be coming in the Middle of April. The Butcherie on Harvard
Street in Brookline has products made by Tofutti, such as cream cheese and
dairy free ice cream. To be Dairy free a kosher product should be labeled
 Parve.

They have a whipped cream in a pressure can which is  dairy free, called
Flavor Right, Flavor Right Food Products, Columbus, Ohio,   which is not
Kosher for Passover because it contains soy. Jews who came from North
Western and Eastern  Europe do not eat rice, corn, or beans on Passover.
Jews who came from Spain and Eastern Countries do. In America many
certifying  agencies tend to follow the Western and European laws, so
something can be ok for celiacs and not be labeled as good for Passover.
The Butcheri has Cake and Cookie mixes made by the Lieber company which do
not contain any wheat product or gluten  (-NON-GEBROKTS) which are
available. They call for oil eggs and water in the directions so they do
leave out some who can't eat eggs. Liebers Kosher Food Specialties in
Brooklyn, NY 11232

There is another store on Beacon Street-- the Beacon Kosher Market. The
store was a little confused today because they are getting ready for the
holiday rush, but I found many  products I had been looking for. They had
Rich's Rich Whip,  a substitute for whipping cream and Coffee Rich a
creamer. Both were in the Frozen Department. I also found some Parve
Chocolate bars made by Alprose which were also Kosher for Passover. In
addition, a number of their canned fruits and pickles were good for
Passover and available year round and at a good price. They had some soups
in those individual cup containers, Potato and Onion, kosher for Passover
with no matzoth meal etc., The Osem brand.

For those of us who enjoy some of the traditional dishes they had frozen
gefilte fish made without matzoth meal and frozen chopped liver.

There is a Star Market across the street,  which had a large selection of
 Macaroons-remember to check the ingredients, they may vary even within a
brand, as was pointed out by an earlier writer. They had a huge variety of
chocolate treats-many were fine for those  either gluten free and /or
casein free. I had to be dragged away. They also carry Farm Rich Non-Dairy
Creamer(Parve).  This is distributed by Morningstar, a Suize Foods Company
(1-800-441-332),  it's in the refrigerated dairy section next to Silk Soy
Milk Products. (This product was neat, as it told how to substitute in
recipes calling for things like condensed milk)

I have been following a chain of company changes. White Wave, the original
owner  of the Silk  Soy  products, is now part of Dean Food , a major milk
company, which is a part of Zuize Foods. The Zuize  company also bought a
local ( Mass) milk company and they also  carry the Morningstar non dairy
creamer brand. I guess they figured--- if a lot of people were switching
from milk, they may as well sell what they were switching to. They both
need refrigerated trucks for distribution. I hope that I have this
straight!

***********
Remember products can be not labeled Kosher for Passover because they
contain corn, rice or soy or other bean products but they may be fine for
celiacs
.
Foods labeled Kosher for Passover may contain matzoth meal, Matzoth cake
meal, which are wheat products.

Foods may be labeled Dairy Free on the package but they must be labeled
Parve to be casein free. If labeled D they contain dairy. If labeled DE
they were made on equipment which also makes dairy products. They are
supposed to be cleaned but kosher certification is strict. The US
government permits food products to be labled dairy free if they contain
less than a certain amount of a milk product.

This was the result of a shopping trip not research. I was happy because I
was looking for some of these products, as  I had seen them on cfgf lists.
I checked  some of these manufacturers before, but you may want to check
them out yourself.

Irma in MA