From:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:56:41 -0500

My husband is a life long celiac so I have long been gluten free in my
home. Now I have been diagnosed as gluten sensitive and  definitely unable
to eat any casein. So that makes me gfcf . In looking for help on the web I
find that many of the pages focus on autistic children. I would be
interested in hearing from any other adults who share my problem.

 I found that labels lie, that the USDA has allowed a certain percentage of
casein other milk derivative in a product and still be labeled Dairy Free.
Plain butter is labeled as having no protein but it does have some. I have
had to rely on the Kosher certifications. Creamers labeled DAIRY FREE will
say-- on the side or back of the package-- a kosher symbol and then D. This
means there is dairy in the product. There are also some products labeled D
E  which means  that it has been made on equipment that also produces dairy
products and has not been cleaned sufficiently to meet the standards of non
dairy even though it is not an ingredient.

My biggest feeling of a lack is cheese. I tried one or two and couldn't
stand them. I dream of manicotti, which I used to make using gluten free
crepes ( which I made).

Hoping to hear from some others who share my problem.
Irma in MA