CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:02:25 -0800

Hi Linda~ Thanks for your nice note. As for discovering if gluten is the
culprit in your life, I think you are on the right track. Some
gastroenterologists think an *Irritable Bowel Syndrome* diagnosis means
they are unable to diagnose what is wrong! <mine, for instance>. Many
experts in the field believe there are quite a few people dx'd with IBS,
who would indeed find  relief from going gluten free.
You've got nothing to lose if give it a try, really.

I would caution you to question *everything* that passes your lips.
Vitamins, prescriptions, over the counter meds, and the things that seem
less obvious, like white vinegar, spice mixes, "natural flavoring" and
caramel coloring, for instance. If you really are going to give gluten
free a try, start out with a very simple diet, and choose whole foods.
Initially that sounds limiting, but lots of salads, fresh fruits and
veggies, unprocessed meats, fish & poultry, and of course, rice.

If you find relief from what ails you, keep doing the GF diet & slowly
introduce new foods, so you can easily pick out the ones that cause you
trouble.

As for the dietitian thinking your symptoms were not *severe enough* to
be sprue.....
I know in my case-- I gues you'd call it  "adult onset sprue" (started @
age 37), my symptoms did not come all at once- it was a gradual buildup
of bloating, gas, bowel urgency & then *eventually* severe diarrhea
almost after every meal (which usually contained gluten in one form or
another). A trauma, such as surgery, can for some, start the beginning
of Celiac Sprue or gluten intolerance. Not all cases are the classic
"wasting" (severely thin, anemic presentation). There are a variety of
presentations, which include overweight, just the skin rashes DH,
constipation, severe diarrhea, and a bunch of other variations.

Sure, you could endure a bunch of expensive  and or invasive tests, or
you could just try omitting gluten & see if your gastric problems go
away. If they don't, I encourage you to continue to find an answer, as
ruling things out as well as in is important.
Problems nipped in the bud early are generally easier to deal with  =  >

I'd like to hear what others think on this matter......

Fran