CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:15:49 -0800

Ok, to start the ball rolling.....

Have you found any great new Gluten Free products that are diabetes
friendly this year?

Fred Meyer has a line of Salad dressings- they are fat free, and are
made with Cider Vinegar. Red Bell Pepper is my Favorite.

Albertsons is carrying a new line of products called "The New Organics
Company" Their products are organic, have no preservatives, low
cholesterol & do taste great & run the same price as conventional
dressings.  The products state clearly if they are gluten or lactose
free.  They have a great Dijon mustard dressing.  These ones are not fat
free, but het hey, it's going on a salad, so what the heck!

I discovered a company called the "Ultimate Biscotti" based in Eugene
Oregon that recently unveiled their new gluten free product line.....
but low carb, it's not.  Every blue moon, you might want to indulge.

What are some of your favorite Diabetes products to help you manage DM?

>>I've been checking out different skin products.....
diabeta derm for feet is really good

Neutrogena makes a body cream that was designed "for Norwegian
fisherman, under the most harsh weather conditions" (for some reason
that cracks me up!), but anyway, if you have dry cracked skin this works
well. They also make a face & foot cream, I've yet to try, but perhaps
the Norwegian fisherman have! Go for the fragrance free varieties.

Also tried Anastasia Marie Diabetic Skin therapy out of Bellevue
Washington.  I think the person who developed the product is a diabetic
dermatologist???  It has a little bit of a funny smell to it, but these
specialty skin things do have products in them that are not found in
regular skin lotions (thus explaining the higher price).  Not all skin
lotions/creams are created equally!

But I have been working away at keeping my foot care aspect together & I
did have a bad case of dry, cracking feet.

How do you handle making sure your prescriptions are in fact gluten
free?

>>>I've resolved to ask my Doctor to write "Must be Gluten free" on the
prescription.  I want accountability!

How are you doing in general???? This is a tricky thing to juggle,
because the GF grains are not always diabetes friendly (high carb
counts). So many of the diabetes help books out there are not of much
help to people who have sprue. Does it get to you sometimes?
How do you cope?

>>>Sometimes I want to run out of the room screaming!  Usually an
accidental ingestion of gluten serves to remind me gluten is just not
worth it <read sick as a dog>.  Now that I've been GF for a while, it may
take a day or so to "react", which then leaves me wondering, where did
the gluten come from???

Are other relatives beginning to exhibit or have been diagnosed w/sprue?

>>>Yep.  I have a cousin who was formally diagnosed, and a niece who is
starting to show inklings of *tummy problems*.  It will be interesting to
see how this unfolds.  My Mom has sprue, but refuses to adhere to any
medically required diet.  Sadly, her system can hardly tolerate ANY food
of any sort.

Anyway..... hope to hear from you wonderful people....
If everyone on this list posted *one thing*, we'd have over 100 posts!
Let's get this list active & thriving

Fran