BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2008 07:08:58 -0400
Interesting thread, humorous, even...so, in that vein (oops!), I offer the following:

Petoskey stones polish up real nice.  They are not suitable for construction, but they are real popular in northern Michigan, found on the lake shore near Petoskey.  We polished a few to use as cabinet pulls, but that was as close to construction use as I've seen.  Purchasing them is pretty much limited to gift shops in the Petoskey area of Michigan's northern lower peninsula.

Petoskey stones, to the uninitiated, are actually fossilized coral, Hexagonaria percarinata. The stones were formed as a result of glaciation, in which sheets of ice plucked stones from the bedrock, grinding off their rough edges and depositing them in the northwestern portion of Michigan's lower peninsula.

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA
QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS
219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104