BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:40:34 EDT
In a message dated 98-10-08 08:37:44 EDT, Michael Davidson writes:

> The 2nd example  that comes to mind is where whole historic blocks  of
>  stone buildings are gutted (Glasgow is famous for this ) leaving the
ghostly
>  facade; then the new building is fitted from behind...and Viola ( as they
> say
>  in Hoboken) ....Historic Preservation....I guess the beauty is in the eye
of
>  the beholder.

There was a construction similar to this down in Memphis, on Beale Street...
except they never rebuilt the building behind the facade, just left the facade
standing (supported by some I-beams arching over the sidewalk) and created an
outdoor cafe behind the facade. I think the building was an old hotel that
burned.

I found the whole setup really interesting, kinda bizarre, but interesting...
allowing change to occur around remnants of the past... layering today over
yesterday. And I certainly understood the streetscape better than if the
facade had been torn down.

-Heidi