BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 16:08:55 EDT
>> Then there is the chicken truck. A Dodge we have to drive careful
>>  in winter cause when hitting a water puddle the water shoots up your pant
>> leg.
>>  The driver's door now seems to be frozen closed. Used to be an oyster
truck
>>  until we got it.

> Reminds me a '66 Volvo I drove in '79.  Right fender was attached to the
>  car with pink (probably formerly red) electrical wire, driver's door held
>  shut with a tautline hitch of bailing twine, no key (long lost, so the
>  owner used the ignition switch), one headlight pointing up into the trees
>  to look for vultures and the other pointing into the ditch for latenight
>  snipe hunting.

I had a Volvo like this too-- had to be careful with the holes in the floor,
otherwise I'd be doing a Fred Flintstone. However it did eliminate the need to
open the windows, which was a good thing, since one of the back windows rolled
down ok, but was real trouble getting back up. The electrical system was
touchy, so there was no fan except when it rained-- had to drive really fast
to get any heat through the vents. And then there was the tape player, which
required a toothpick stuck in *just so* to play. On the positive side
though... I hit a HUGE deer doing 65 one night and all I did was bust up the
grille a bit. The deer didn't fare as well. And it was it's own best anti-
theft device, I could leave the keys in and the doors open and NO one was
going to steal it. *sigh* a true classic

-Heidi